How to apply for an elective rotation at Thai Travel Clinic,
Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Mahidol University
Each year we receive many requests from medical students/doctors/residents and research volunteer from all around the world for the opportunity to join us. Although we try to accommodate you all, we have some limitations. Only a limited number of requests will be successful.
The medical elective is meant to give additional clinical experiences in Travel Medicine and Tropical Medicine to the qualified applicants. The applicants will take part in travel clinic and hospital activities together with our travel medicine residents, such as OPD sessions, ward rounds, seminars, and conferences.
- Undergraduate applicants: 4th – 6th year medical student with clinical experience at the time of their elective period. Please note we do not accept high school students.
- Postgraduate applicants: A resident, fellow and physician at the time of their elective period
Application and how to apply
- Applicants please read all information below and prepare all required document. When ready please use this LINK.
- The available rotation for 2023 are as follows.
- March 2023 * Full, no vacancy *
- May 2023
- June 2023
- August 2023
- November 2023
- All documents submitted for the application must be issued in the Thai or English language.
- Required documents for applying.
- Medical Student/Doctor elective form. Download here
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Immunization record form. Download here
- Letter of Recommendation/Endorsement from your school/ university/ college/ institution/ hospital
- Scanned copy of your Passport, or Thai National ID Card
- Cover letter which at least included all of these information:
- Your background and your expectation/objectives during elective period
- Stated whether this elective is part of formal curriculum or extra-curriculum
- Why are you interested in tropical/travel medicine?
- Why are you interested to do your elective with us?
Application Process Overview
- Submit a request with ALL documents as indicated above via this LINK
- Our staff will inform you whether you are accepted into an elective program or not via your provided email
- The review process will take 3-4 weeks. So if you plan to apply for elective with us, please plan at least 2-3 months.
- Undergraduate applicants – not more than 3,500 THB per week
- Postgraduate applicants- not more than 5,000 THB per week
- You will have to pay only if your request is accepted. You will pay by cash upon your arrival at the office of the Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine.
- For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- For email subject line, please write “Elective enquiry _ your full name”
Here are some activities of our elective doctors/medical students
Elective Programs at our Travel Clinic 2015-2016
Guest lecture from our Japanese visitors
Activity in our Travel Clinic
Clinical experience in OPD
Water purification workshop
Travel Clinic Round with our residents
Scenario in Travel Clinic
Ward round with our residents
Visit our facebook page to see more photos and activities of previous elective visitors: