Selected Publications and Presentations
Publications in International peer-reviewed journal
1) Choovichian V, Chatapat L, Piyaphanee W. A Bubble Turtle: Bullous Contact Dermatitis After a Black Henna Tattoo in a Backpacker in Thailand. J Travel Med 2015; 22(4): 287-8.
2) Kittitrakul C, Lawpoolsri S, Kusolsuk T, Olanwichitwong J, Tangkanakul W, Piyaphanee W. Travelers' Diarrhea in Foreign Travelers in Southeast Asia: A Cross-Sectional Study in Bangkok, Thailand. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2015; 93(3): 485-90.
3) Gautret P, Harvey K, Pandey P, Lim PL, Leder K, Piyaphanee W, Shaw M, McDonald SC, Schwartz E, Esposito DH, Parola G; Geosentinel Surveillance Network. Animal-associated exposure to rabies virus among travelers. 1997-2012. Emerg Infect Dis 2015; 21(4): 569-77.
4) Kashino W, Piyaphanee W, Kittitrakul C, Tangpukdee N, Sibunruang S, Lawpoolsri S, Yamashita H, Muangnoicharoen S, Silachamroon U, Tantawichian T. Incidence of potential rabbies exposure among Japanese expatriates and travelers in Thailand. J Travel Med 2014; 21(3): 163-68.
5) Piyaphanee, W, Kittitrakul C, Lawpoolsri, Tangkanakul W, Sa-Ngiamsak N, Nasok P, Wongchai S, Ponam T, Wichianprasat P, Phumratanaprapin W. Incidence and spectrum of health problems among travelers to Laos. J Travel Med 2014; 21(3): 163-8.
6) Kaehler N, Piyaphanee W, Kittitrakul C, Kyi YP, Adhkari B, Sibunruang S, Jearraksuwan S, Tangpukdee N, Silachamroon U, Tantawichian T. Sexual behavior of foreign backpackers in the Khao San Road area, Bangkok. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2013; 44(4): 690-6.
7) Piyaphanee W, Olanwijitwong J, Kusolsuk T, Silachamroon U. Awareness, practices, and health problems of backpackers traveling during flooding in Thailand during 2011. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2012; 43(5):1193-1200.
8) Piyaphanee W, Kittitrakul C, Lawpoolsri S, Gautret P, Kashino W, Tangkanakul W, Charoenpong P, Ponam T, Sibunruang S, Phumratanaprapin W, Tantawichien T. Risk of potentially rabid animal exposure among foreign travelers in Southeast Asia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012 Sep;6(9):e1852. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0001852. Epub 2012 Sep 27.
9) Piyaphanee W, Steffen R, Shlim D, Gherardin T, Chatterjee S. Travel Medicine for Asian Travelers—Do We Need New Approaches?. J Travel Med 2012;19(6):335-7.
10) Gautret P, Tantawichien T, Vu Hai V, Piyaphanee W. Determinants of pre-exposure rabies vaccination among foreign backpackers in Bangkok, Thailand. Vaccine. 2011 May 23;29(23):3931-4. Epub 2011 Apr 13.
11) Piyaphanee W, Kusolsuk T, Kittitrakul C, Sutthithum W, Ponam T and Wilairatana P. Incidence and Impact of Travelers' Diarrhea Among Foreign Backpackers in Southeast Asia: A Result From Khao San Road, Bangkok. J Travel Med 2011;18(2): 109-14.
12) Piyaphanee W, Shantavasinkul P, Phumratanaprapin W, Udomchaisakul P, Wichianprasat P, Benjavongkulchai M, Ponam T, Tantawichian T. Rabies exposure risk among foreign backpackers in Southeast Asia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010 Jun;82(6):1168-71.
13) Piyaphanee W, Wattanagoon Y, Silachamroon U, Meansanguan C, Wichianprasat P, Walker E. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices among foreign backpackers towards malaria risk in Southeast Asia. J Travel Med. 2009 Mar-Apr;16(2):101-6.
14) Chen LH, Wilson ME, Davis X, Loutan L, Schwartz E, Keystone J, Hale D, Lim PL, McCarthy A, Gkrania-Klotsas E, Schlagenhauf P; GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Collaborators (65). Illness in long-term travelers visiting GeoSentinel clinics. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009 Nov;15(11):1773-82.
15) Teparrakkul P, Tsai JJ, Chierakul W, Gerstenmaier JF, Wacharaprechasgu T,Piyaphanee W, Limmathurotsakul D, Chaowagul W, Day NP, Peacock SJ. Rheumatological manifestation in patients with melioidosis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2008;39(4):649-55.
16) Piyaphanee W, Issarachaikul R, Soontarach P, Silachamroon U. Concurrent Salmonella bacteremia in P.vivax infection – 2 cases report in hospital for tropical diseases, Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2007;38(4):616-8.
17) Piyaphanee W, Krudsood S, Silachamroon U, Pornpininiworakij K, Danwiwatdecha W, Chamnachanan S, Wilairatana P, Looareesuwan S. Travelers’ malaria at the hospital for tropical diseases, Bangkok, Thailand. A 6 Year review (2000-2005). Korean J Parasitol 2006;44(3):229-32.
18) Piyaphanee W, Krudsood S, Tangpukdee N, Thanachartwet W, Silachamroon U, Phophak N, Duangdee C, Haoharn O, Faithong S, Wilairatana P, Leowattana W, Looareesuwan S. Emergence and clearance of gametocytes in uncomplicated falciparum malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006;74(3):432-5.
Research Presented at International Conferences
1) Health Problems among Thai tourists Returning from India. Poster presentation. Presented at 11th Conference of the International Society of Travel Medicine (CISTM14), 24-28 May, 2015, Quebec City, Canada.
2) Risk of Possible Exposure to Rabies among travelers from developed countries in Southeast Asia. Oral presentation at 12th Conference of the International Society of Travel Medicine (CISTM12), 8-12 May 2011, Boston, MA, USA.
3) Skin Reaction from Ipomea pes-caprae (Pakbung-Tale) ointment in healthy volunteer. Poster Presentation. Presented at Joint International Conference of Tropical Medicine (JITMM), 1-3 December 2010, Bangkok, Thailand.
4) Incidence and impact of travelers' diarrhea among foreign backpackers in Southeast Asia. Poster Presentation. Presented at the 14th International Congress on Infectious Diseases (14th ICID), 9-12 March 2010, Miami, Florida, USA.
5) Rabies Exposure Risk Among Foreign Backpackers in Southeast Asia. Poster presentation. Presented at 11th Conference of the International Society of Travel Medicine (CISTM11), 24-28 May, 2009, Budapest, Hungary.
Update 15 October 2015